Pit Bull Guitars TL-1TB DIY Electric Guitar Kit Includes:
- Basswood body (semi-hollow)
- Maple neck (C profile) and Maple or Rosewood fretboard
- 22 medium jumbo frets
- Chrome or hardware
- 2 x Humbucker pick ups
- “Bigsby” style tremolo bar
- Volume and tone knobs and 3 way switch
- Classically styled chrome bridge
- Chrome die-cast tuners (upgrade to Grover 406C Mini Rotomatics Locking Tuners from $44.95)
- Strap buttons
- 3 ply white scratch plate
- All electronics (pots, caps, wires and solder)
- Free Ernie Ball Super Slinky Strings.
- FREE Shipping – Anywhere in Australia
- Level of Soldering Difficulty: Advanced – requires a number of solders that can be challenging for new builders.
This kit contains everything you need to build a complete, playable guitar, except your choice of finish.
Gavin1393 (verified owner) –
What a great project is the Tele Thinline with Bigsby Bridge (TL-1TB). I Built mine absolutely Standard from the Pitbull kit. Painted with Columbian Gold from Wudtone on the body and Vintage Amber on the neck and finished in extra-gloss-no aging.
I have used the standard Humbucker Pickups and standard wiring..I confess that I did change the three way switch to a DiMarzio 3 way. Dispensed with the pickguard. Not a pickguard fan!
I did modify the ‘f’ hole by cutting a replica ‘f’ hole and inserting this into the body as the cap seemed very thing and I wanted to give the body a more genuine Fender appearance.
A kit I can highly recommend.
Ricmo (verified owner) –
I have to agree with Gavin, what a great kit to build, and the finished result is quiet good.
I had some slight trouble with deep grooves visible in the “F” hole, which took a bit of awkward sanding to smooth out. I did eventually get it ok but then coated it with vintage yellow neck base not sure if that was the thing to do. The build is standard, with only the front pick-up changed to a Seymour Duncan P100 (i think it is). The reason for this is the original PU cover was “un-soldered” and my soldering iron not powerful enough to heat the joint. Also I had it hanging around so may as well put it to use.
I did add a “stutter” button between the volume and tone control, BUT, I found this to be a little hard to activate as I had to look to find it if I was going to use it. I eventually turned the control plate and swapped the position of the volume and tone pots so the volume is at the front. The switch was also turned around so the lever pointed to the active PU. I wont use this but it’s there if I ever get the urge.
The guitar is finished in Burning Sun, non ageing. The neck, vintage yellow.
The guitar is in tune, although the 3rd string is a little out. Hopefully I will be able to fix this when i change the strings and reverse the saddle for that string. The Bigsby spring is too long causing the arm to be much too high. I do have another bigsby spring but this is not much shorter, so I may shorten the original. (one day).
I look forward to my next build, but not sure when this will be.